Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Audiobook Review: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 448 pages
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Audiobook Publisher:  Recorded Books
Buy the book:  Paperback, Audio

Sophie has the great misfortune of being the eldest of three daughters, destined to fail miserably should she ever leave home to seek her fate. But when she unwittingly attracts the ire of the Witch of the Waste, Sophie finds herself under a horrid spell that transforms her into an old lady. Her only chance at breaking it lies in the ever-moving castle in the hills: the Wizard Howl's castle. To untangle the enchantment, Sophie must handle the heartless Howl, strike a bargain with a fire demon, and meet the Witch of the Waste head-on. Along the way, she discovers that there's far more to Howl—and herself—than first meets the eye.

My thoughts:

It's about this girl named Sophie who gets turned into an old woman by The Wicked Witch of the Waste. She finds Howl's Moving Castle and gets taken in by Howl. She makes a bargain with a fire demon to try to become young again. I liked Sophie, but only when she wasn't grumpy! I liked Letti and Martha, Sophie's sisters a lot, along with the other supporting characters, and I even grew to like Howl. I listened to this book on audiobook which was good. The reader wasn't as good as some of the other books I've listened to, but I really loved this story a lot. My 8 year old brother really loved it too.


Four Crowns






5 comments:

AMY Reale ~ ReadingTeen2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janeth said...

Great review, Reagan! The book sounds really interesting especially since I am also the oldest of 3 sisters! Keep up the good work.

Travis said...

I love the movie, and I've always wanted to read the book. Nice review!

Unknown said...

I've actually never seen the movie, but it looks pretty interesting. I might pick up this book (or look for the movie somewhere)

Rea Rea said...

There is a movie!!!!!! i never knew! i LOVE THE BOOK!!!! and thanks for your comments