Sunday, September 12, 2010

Review: Emily the Strange, Stranger and Stranger by Rob Reger

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins; 1 edition (March 30, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061452327
ISBN-13: 978-0061452321

From School Library Journal

Grade 7–10—Emily the Strange, evil genius and skateboarder extraordinaire, has invented many things in her time—golems, working cat translators, great names for bands. But the duplication device may have been a mistake, especially when an accident produces an identical Emily. At first Other Me is cool and useful, but it quickly becomes apparent that she is evil and will take over the world if not stopped. Emily's second journal, a sequel to The Lost Days (HarperCollins, 2009), is a dark delight, filled with all kinds of Strangeness: a broken leg, a Strange Manifesto that causes the entire town to go loony, an ex-spymaster neighbor, and an oddly understanding and absurdly patient mother, all described with demented wit and great relish, and accompanied by manga-style black-and-white cartoons. Does it all make sense? No, not really. Does it matter? Not at all. Fans of the first book and newcomers alike will thoroughly enjoy the zaniness and clamor for more.—Mara Alpert, Los Angeles Public Library 
 





Emily the Strange website - Cool clothing line

Emily the Strange Wikipedia

Emily the Strange Harper Teen



Emily the Strange: 13 years old. Able to leap tall buildings, probably, if she felt like it. More likely to be napping with her four black cats; or cobbling together a particle accelerator out of lint, lentils, and safety pins; or rocking out on drums/guitar/saxophone/zither; or painting a swirling feral sewer mural; or forcing someone to say “swirling feral sewer mural” 13 times fast. . .and pointing and laughing. ~ Harper Teen


DID I HATE IT? LOVE IT?
 
Hold On Already... FIRST I have a few things to tell you about Emily. She is a...
 
  1. A mad scientist
  2. A cat lover
  3. A mural painter
  4. A golem builder
  5. A virtuo-spastic guitarist
  6. A wicked skater
  7. A wily troublemaker
  8. A poltergeist tamer
  9. A mystery solver
10. A master prankster
11. An eXtreme procrastinator
12. A happy loner
13. A unique individual
 
 
... And now there are TWO of her.
 
I love Emily the Strange books! They're STRANGE!  I thought they were hilarious. I'm addicted to these books. I'm also totally digging the cover. I am always entertained and laughing out loud, when I read this series. And NO I'm NOT too old for this series either! Anyone in their right mind would read these books. All her little made up curse words (lists of 13) and conversations with people just crack me up. I felt sometimes the plot was a little predictable, but, it wasn't to the point were I was annoyed. I can't really think of anything that I disliked about this book, isn't that awesome?!
 
Sometimes during this book I caught myself thinking, "I want to be Emily the Strange!", she's just so awesome and quirky. I also go around saying things like "Flutterplacking pigbark!!" or "Craphounds!!". So yeah this is a really quick, clean read that I would recommend to anybody!

So there is my "Doublebricking Gobfarx" review! All I had to say were things I LOVED about it. Most of the time half of my reviews are me hatin' on books, I know, I know, I'm picky.

"Flabbering Jellyjars!!!!!" I Hope you'll love this book as much as I friggin' did! :)



 
 
-ABIGAILE♥
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Four Crowns


 
* A word to the responsible ones... No "real" curse words. A lot of made up ones and she often does pranks on people. For more info GO to Parental Book Reviews.

3 comments:

Angelique said...

I've thought about reading these for fun since my daughter is named Emily =)

Chrystal said...

They are pretty good. I've read a few just to see what they were like and I am 30 years old. I kinda like Emily - so I am sure I will keep reading her books. Thanks for the great review. :)

Unknown said...

I love this book, I am using it for a school project, but I just need to know. What reading level is this book?????