Monday, February 27, 2012

Winterling By Sara Prineas

Reading level: Ages 10 and up
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins and Harper Audio (January 3, 2012)
Narrated by Erin Moon
Buy The Book: Hardcover | Audible

With her boundless curiosity and wild spirit, Fer has always felt that she doesn’t belong. Not when the forest is calling to her, when the rush of wind through branches feels more real than school or the quiet farms near her house. Then she saves an injured creature—he looks like a boy, but he’s really something else. He knows who Fer truly is, and invites her through the Way, a passage to a strange, dangerous land.
Fer feels an instant attachment to this realm, where magic is real and oaths forge bonds stronger than iron. But a powerful huntress named the MÓr rules here, and Fer can sense that the land is perilously out of balance. Fer must unlock the secrets about the parents she never knew and claim her true place before the worlds on both sides of the Way descend into endless winter.


I listened to half the book on audio but the other half I actually read. I'll talk about the audio first. The reader, Erin Moon, was really good, she really sounded like a little girl when she did Fer's voice, and she sounded like an old lady when she did Grand-Janes's voice. So the audio was easy to go through, and fun to listen to. I think I like it best when she did Rooks voice because it was rough like it was supposed to be and deep like a boys is.  Listen to a sample here!

Now I'll talk about the book. The book had no errors as far as I know which was a relief! And it had no bad language or romance, but a little violence. I enjoyed the reading part almost as much as the listening part! Almost. I think it it was slower for me reading than listening. It took me like a week to read this book though, if that counts for anything.  I didn't realize that the author of this book, Sara Prineas, also is the author of The Magic Thief series! (See my review of the Magic Thief HERE) So as I also enjoyed her writing in the Magic Thief I enjoyed the writing here, it was really excellent. The names were very creative, cute, and I liked them all. I think my favorite character is Rook, the mischievous puck boy who can shift into a horse and a dog. He's funny (at least I think so....:)) , and I imagine him cute. But that's just me lol. I think my second favorite character is Fer, cause she's brave always, never scared (which is just plain weird but admirable). I also liked Fer's horse. Can't say his name here! I'm giving too much away already lol. I think if you like books for brave girls, fantasy, and hunting, this is the book for you!!!





No comments: