Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wonderstruk by Brian Selznick

Reading level: Ages 9 and up
Hardcover: 608 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press; 1 edition (September 13, 2011)
Buy The Book: Amazon

    NOTE: This book is in the past. NOTE OVER


    Two stories, set fifty years apart; interwoven. One told through pictures and the other told through words.

    The first story is of Ben, a young boy in the 1977 who just lost his mother and sets out to look for his father. The second story follows Rose, a young girl from 1927's New Jersey who sets out to look for her idol, a movie star.

    Both children's search take them to New York City. Both children - deaf - are struggling to find what they are looking for in a world where hearing is normal and sometimes taken for granted. In a sense, they end up mirroring each other's search and face similar hardships. How their lives intertwine in the end, though I was able to guess, was still very bittersweet.

    My Review

    I liked this book because It's not too emotional, but it is at the same time and I like that. I also like it because Ben is not giving up.  He travled miles on his own and he leaves his family just to see if this guy is his dad and he is my age (I think)! 

    I like it because Rose travels miles too, just to get her mom to notice her and spend time with her because her mom is a movie star. 

    My favorite characters are:

    Ben: He is very cool because of what he did! (See My review above)

    Rose: She is SOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!! (You will see in the book and My review above)



    No comments: