Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Werewolf of Fever Swamp (Goosebumps) by R.L. Stine

Reading level: Ages 9-12
Mass Market Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Paperbacks (October 1, 2009)
Goosebumps Official Site: http://www.scholastic.com/goosebumps/
Buy the Book:  Amazon

There is something weird happening in Fever Swamp. Something really horrible. It started with the strange howling at night. Then there was the rabbit, torn to shreds. Everyone thinks Grady's new dog is responsible. After all, he looks just like a wolf. And he seems a little on the wild side.

But Grady knows his dog is just a regular old dog. And most dogs don't howl at the moon. Or disappear at midnight. Or change into terrifying creatures when the moon is full.

Or do they?
 Goosebumps:
This is my second Goosebumps book and I really liked them both, but I liked this one SO much more than the other.  
What's it about?
This one is about how Grady and his family move to Florida because his mom and dad are scientists.  His dad caught some swamp deer and so he took them there to experiment and see if they could survive in the swamp.  Grady decides to explore the swamp with his sister, Emily, and while they were there, they were looking around and found a bog.  As they went farther in, they discovered a small, old hut where a hunched man lived.  When he opened his mouth, he had really sharp teeth.  They ran away as fast as they could, but ended up getting lost.  They told their parents about the Swamp Hermit, but their parents said it was nothing to worry about.  When Grady started hearing howls and scratches at night, during the full moon, he began to suspect that the hermit might be a werewolf.  But things aren't always what they seem, and Grady (and I) were very surprised by the outcome!
What I thought:
I LOVED THIS BOOK!! My favorite character was Grady.  He's the main character and I learned the most about him.  I liked how this book was a mystery, and it was really dangerous for Grady.  I love how everything was connected and how it all came together in the end.  The book was scary for the characters, but it didn't scare me.  My sister's friend thinks these books are too gross and scary, but I really like them!  So, maybe these books aren't good for girls!!  These books are pretty easy to read, and I like that because I got through it really quickly.  I'll be reading more of these books!
Parents:  This book has no bad language, but it can be a little scary and gross.

Some of the Goosebumps books have been made into short movies.  Here's the preview for this one:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think that book had to be scary